Town History
Public Safety
Town Clerk
Town Court
Forms Download
Code Book
Youth Program
Events Calendar
Community Groups
Our Schools
Contact Us

TEL (607) 775-1370



Town of Kirkwood Court
70 Crescent Drive
Kirkwood, NY 13795
Phone: 607-775-2653
Fax: 607-775-4589

Email:  kirkwoodtowncourt@nycourts.gov

Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 3:30 PM

Town Justice Ward E. Coe

Town Justice Jeffrey Hawkes

*** The Court will  be scheduling limited in-person appearances.  Please call before coming to Court to verify appearance.  Do not come to Court if you answer YES to any of the following COVID screening questions: 

  • Have you or anyone in your household had any of the following symptoms in the last 14 days:  sore throat, cough, chills, body aches for unknown reasons, shortness of breath for unknown reasons, loss of smell, loss of taste, fever at or greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit?

  • Have you or anyone in your household traveled to or from restricted states in the past 14 days?

  • Have you or anyone in your household cared for an individual who is in quarantine or is a presumptive positive or has tested positive for COVID-19?

  • Do you have any reason to believe you or anyone in your household has been exposed to or acquired COVID-19?

  • To the best of your knowledge have you been in close proximity to any individual who tested positive for COVID-19?

Court Hours
What if I am summoned to be a Juror?
What if I am summoned to be a Witness?
Wedding Appointments

Traffic Court & Court Questions?


The Town Court plays a vital role in the protection of our safety and our rights as residents of the Town of Kirkwood.  Every town has a Court, which handles civil and criminal matters.

Any criminal act, which occurs in this town, is initially under the jurisdiction of our Town Court.  After the arrest occurs, the individual is brought to court for arraignment.  The arraignment is the time when a plea of guilty or not guilty is entered to the charge, and if necessary, bail is set.  Arraignment times for both Criminal and Vehicle and Traffic charges are Tuesday and Thursday at 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM.  Bail is an amount of money, which a person has to pay to insure a defendant’s appearance in court, pending disposition of the criminal matter.

Arraignments and sentencing's are set for the first and third Wednesday of every month.  The defendant is to appear during these times with their attorney, if they desire one.  By that date, the Broome County District Attorney’s Office will then attempt to resolve any discrepancies in the case and negotiate a plea or set the matter for trial.  Simple traffic matters may be negotiated at the District Attorney's website:  www.broomeda.com

The court will also hear matters concerning landlords and tenants such as eviction proceedings, rent due or abandonment of the property.  Any violations of the Kirkwood Town Code, such as zoning, the noise ordinance, property maintenance, etc. will also be heard in the court.

Our Town Court also handles Small Claims Court actions.  Only an individual may bring an action in Small Claims Court up to a monetary limit of $3,000 against any person or corporation who owes money if that person or corporations lives, has an office for the transactions of business, or works within the town.


On-Line Payments at www.paycourtonline.com  or 1-800-701-8560

Court Hours

Town Court Schedule



Criminal Court –
Misdemeanor Charges

Call the Court for day and time.

Small Claims*


10:30 AM

3:30 PM

Summary Proceedings


10:30 AM

3:30 PM

*Small claims court is also available by request

What if I am summoned to be a Juror?

If you receive a summons to be a juror you should contact the Broome County Commissioner of Jurors (778-2159), or Town of Kirkwood Court (775-2653) for further information.

What if I am summoned to be a Witness?

If you receive a summons to be a witness you should contact the Broome County District Attorney’s Office (778-2198 or 778-2423) for further information.

Wedding Appointments

Town Justices can perform Weddings by appointment, please call the court ahead of time.


How do I answer my ticket?

You may have received a hand written ticket or a computer-generated ticket. It is the obligation of the receiving motorist to respond to the ticket. If the charge(s) are NOT MISDEMEANORS you may sign the right side of the computer generated ticket to indicate your plea of either guilty or not guilty. You then mail it to the court at the address listed above.  Include your email email and phone number.

Note: Be sure to review all information printed on your ticket(s). To plead guilty, complete and sign Part A of your ticket, to plead not guilty, complete and sign Part B of your ticket.

Upon a plea of guilty, the judge will impose a sentence which could consist of a fine. Also imposed would be the NY State mandated surcharge. You will be notified by mail of the amount due and the process to make the payment.

Upon a plea of not guilty, you may contact the prosecutor to negotiate an agreement through their website:  www.broomeda.com   Any proposed agreement is subject to approval by the court. Once your plea of not guilty is received and accepted by the court, you will receive a notice that will explain the process.

If you have been charged with a misdemeanor, you must appear in person on the date given by the Court.  Please call for the date and time. 

I missed my court appearance what do I do?

You should contact the court or if your attorney immediately. Depending on the matter at hand, non-appearances could normally result in one or more of the following: Arrest Warrant, Bench Warrant, bail forfeiture and/or the suspension of your driver’s license/privileges.

What is a supporting deposition?

A supporting deposition is a detailed account from the officer regarding the issued ticket. If you were handed an electronically issued ticket, the officer may have handed you the supporting deposition along with the ticket. Some officers hand the ticket and supporting deposition to the driver as one long piece of paper, some separate them.

I’d like to speak with someone regarding a reduction or plea bargain.

If you are charged with a traffic violation and before any plea bargains are accepted, you must first enter a plea of not guilty by appearing for arraignment before the judge or by completing Part B on the traffic ticket(s) you were issued. You may mail or drop the signed ticket(s) to the court office. Once a plea of not guilty has been entered with the court, you would receive further information with regard to plea bargaining.

Why can’t I send payment in with my ticket?

Because the judge will assess the penalty once a plea of guilty has been entered. Once assessed a Notice of Fine will be mailed to you stating the amount due and the process to make the payment.

How do I pay my fine?

Payments are accepted during the hours listed on this website.

You may pay in person with cash or money order for exact amount or with a debit/credit card.

You can also pay online at www.paycourtonline.com OR call 1-800-701-8560

A fee will be added to your credit card payment.

NOTE: Neither the municipality nor the court receives any portion of any fees.

The following are NOT accepted:

Personal or business checks, or payments over the phone with a court clerk. You may call 1-800-701-8560 for any phone credit card payments.

Do I need an attorney?

Although you are not required to have an attorney you have a right to have representation at every step of the proceedings. It is not recommended that you proceed to trial without the aid of counsel but you certainly have the right to do so.

Can I get a Public Defender?

You must call to make an appointment immediately. You will have to financially qualify for representation. Call the Broome County Public Defender’s Office at 607-778-2403 for further questions or to make an appointment for a qualifying interview. You are required to notify the court of your scheduled appointment.

How do I contact the District Attorney?

Broome County District Attorney’s Office
PO BX 1766, 45 Hawley St., 4th Floor
Binghamton, NY 13902-1766


Who do I contact about points on my license?

Contact NYS DMV at your local office or go to http://www.dmv.ny.gov If you are an out of state driver, contact your home licensing state.

For clarity, go to NYS Driver Violation Point System.

 Why is my license suspended?

Depending on the reason for your suspension; you must either pay the fine/surcharge due or appear in court. If your license is suspended, and the effective date is July 5, 2009 or before, you will be required to pay a Suspension Termination Fee of $35.00 per suspension. Suspensions that go into effect on or after July 6, 2009, suspended drivers must pay $70.00. The Notice of Suspension from NYS DMV will give further information regarding this fee, or you can go to their website http://www.dmv.ny.gov/susFeePmt/susFeeFaq.htm. Submit your identified payment as outlined in the “How do I pay my fine?” question on this page along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. Send the Notice of License Suspension Order for endorsement and verification of the suspension date. Call the court clerk if you do not know the total amount due or for information on scheduling a new court date.

What is the driver assessment fee?

That notice came from NYS Department of Motor Vehicles and is separate from any fines or surcharges paid to the court. The fee is called Driver’s Responsibility Act (DRA). Go to http://www.dmv.ny.gov/drp.htm for any questions pertaining to that fee.

What is the NYS Department of Motor Vehicle phone number?

1-518-486-9786 (NY license)

1-518-473-5595 (out of state license)

Who do I talk to about the status of my license?

To find out any information regarding your license status or the effect of a conviction, contact or visit your licensing state Department of Motor Vehicles.

I was the victim of a crime. Who can I talk to?

You can contact:

SOS Shelter Advocacy Office at 1201 Man St. in Endicott, NY (across from U-E High School) 607-748-5174. The 24 hour Crisis Line is 607-754-4340. This hotline is for information and referrals to their shelter and /or other services and support.

Crime Victims Assistance Center Advocate Program at 45 Hawley St., Binghamton, NY 607-778-2423 ask for the Crime Victim Advocate. The 24 hour Crisis Line is 607-722-4256. This hotline is for information and referrals for victims of domestic violence as well as accompaniment to hospitals and law enforcement agencies.

[ Back ]